Swings & slides on a Saturday

8:21 AM

We spent our weekend at Lake Anna with my parents. After a less than stellar past couple of weeks it was just what we needed. It's nice to have an extra pair of hands from time to time. 
We were blessed with such gorgeous weather on Saturday - blue skies and a pleasant breeze. It even got warm enough for us to ditch our coats!
The walk to the lake from the cabin was long and conversations shifted here and there. At one point I found my mind drifting. Drifting towards that blue sky I've missed so much. And I got to thinking about how silly most things really are, good or bad. Perhaps it's the fact that papa bear and I have been focusing on the bigger picture as of late and yet I think it's also the fact that as I grow older I tend to overlook the "small stuff" and take in the more enduring aspects of life. And so I found myself thinking about how amidst all the tweets and daily musings in the end we're all living this big life. Our life. I bet you inside every single person is a dream so wonderful and huge it would make your heart break. Amidst the packing of lunches, drives to and fro, loads of laundry, showers and phone calls we're all really just trying to make this or that dream happen - a family, an education, a career, a miracle... 
For some reason once we grow up it's as if we become ashamed of telling anyone "what we want to be when we grow up." Think about it. Children love that question. I bet you used to tell people how you couldn't wait to be a ballerina, fireman, chef, magician, vet, etc. And now? How many people's dreams do you know of? Most of us hide it away deep inside some cavern of our soul. Hoping that perhaps one day the stars will align and our dream will be born into this world. Obviously I don't need to tell you that in fact that is not at all how dreams are born into reality. But perhaps the first step is really just saying it out loud, releasing it into the wild and letting life have it's way with it until it returns to you stronger and braver and ready to fight. Because you have to fight to have your dream come alive and live. 
I'll go first. More than anything in this world it is my utmost dream, biggest desire and passion to counsel people. I became smitten with the field of psychology my freshman year of college and I still live and breath it. I've had a few detours on my way to making this dream a reality but now I feel like I am about to embark on a new chapter that will be the next stepping stone that paves the way to a little sofa, in a little office, with a little sign... Dr...
Now it's your turn! I'm daring you to share with me, with all of us, to say out loud what is that dream that continues to burn or smolder inside you?!

You Might Also Like

8 notes

  1. I have always been dreaming of running a little (backpacker) hostel in a nice spot of the world (somewhere near the sea or in a pittoresque little town). I would warmly welcome all the travellers from (hopefully) all over the world, give them a "home" for a few nights, tell them about the area, give them ideas what to see and what to do, eat, try at this certain place. I would do all the interior design myself, which of course would be unique and cozy. :-) Of course, the food (breakfast, lunch snacks, cake) would be delicious. In the end, it will be hard to tell, if people recommend/visit, because of the good food, nice rooms or the warm and hearty atmosphere. Probably a bit of all. And the best thing would be to do it toghether with my beloved sister. Isn´t that the most awesome dream? I´m holding on to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That sounds so perfect!! Keep dreaming girl!! You can do it! What a beautiful dream! xo

      Delete
  2. Firstly - love the photos, as usual!

    Second - my dream. Well, some days I think all dreaming has been crushed out of me and I might as well give up on getting it back. But the more honest answer is my dream is to work full time in the creative field - writing and possibly other creative things - from my home or a little office of my own. My dream is not to pad someone else's vacation fund while never having even a day off for myself, or spending the best hours of my days in a grey box where I can't even see a window (my current life).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jacki! And thank you so much for sharing your dream. It's lovely dream and you deserve it so keep dreaming! xo

      Delete
  3. My dream alternates between becoming a pediatric nurse and an elementary art school teacher...going to make one of these happen sometime sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely! It's funny because those are two jobs I've always been very interested in. I'm sure you would be fantastic in either role! Don't give up! xo

      Delete
  4. I am dreaming of becoming a wedding planner and move to America and open my small business :) hopefully my dream will come true :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So wonderful! Keep dreaming and thank you for sharing!! xo

      Delete

Let's talk!