a week's worth of odds & ends

7:23 AM

^ this is my table, overflowing with autumn goodness ^

Sometimes I physically can't imagine moving away from here. From the valley, from our home. I drove home on tuesday by myself (papa bear stayed behind in DC to teach). I took a back road we recently discovered for half of the drive and it was just what I needed. There's nothing like a long drive with some good music to soothe your tired soul. Birdie was fast asleep in the backseat, my shuffle was picking the most perfect songs like - Sera Cahoone's "Naked" and Rufus Wainwright's "Oh What A World" and the hills and cattle where whirring by my window. It was overcast and the sky was a moody shade of beige. I could feel the cold even in the cozy cocoon of our car and the valley looked strangely verdant for late October. I weaved through the tiny two lane road all the way up to our road, when the pavement gave way to rocks and dirt. 
The sun was starting to set as we pulled into our driveway bathed in leaves. A bittersweet feeling came over me when I saw the fresh layer of leaves on the deck that I had just spent half an hour sweeping mere days ago. But... MORE LEAVES!! I hurried inside with Birdie and plopped her in her crib, hat and coat and all, with some toys while I ran around turning on the floor board heaters to warm our frigid house. Whenever we're gone for over two days, especially in the winter, the cabin acquires a strange scent it's had long before we ever moved in. In a way it's rather moldy and gross but on the other hand it reminds me of moving in and joy of making this home our own. It's a not-so-subtle reminder of all the hard work that went into this place and a reminder to cherish it. 
I then unloaded the car, lit some candles and Birdie's babbling provided some entertainment while I unpacked our groceries and bags. As the floors began to warm and the aroma of pumpkins wafted from the candles I once again felt that easy peaceful feeling I get from being home. 
I'm a strange little person, I crave adventure and change, but in the same breath I'll tell you that I adore routine and calm. I suppose perhaps we all need a healthy mix of both? And after days of "journeying" it's nice to come back down to mother earth and bask in the goodness that is your own bed, a favorite record whirring in the player and a cup of coffee in your mug. 

You Might Also Like

2 notes

  1. I swear, you just cloned everything I feel and bottled it up into a post, loved it! Beautiful writing and imagery:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Thank you so much sweetie! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!